Based in Astoria, Queens, New York
03 April, 2014
PC / Mac / Linux
Icebound is a steampunk fantasy visual novel and puzzle game that takes place on Permia, an alternate world locked in the depths of an ice age. Two races - human, and the horned, hair-covered ferans - have forged a way of life revolving around alchemy, a special power that allows a select few to manipulate the elements. In the west resides the Holy Empire, whose denizens are masters of clockworks, and in the east, the Council, a powerful alliance of tribes with more traditional views. A wandering alchemist named Dougal winds up in the isolated town of Isenbarr with his Familiar, Isaac, hoping to find a job and earn some spending money. What he doesn't expect to encounter is a web of intrigue involving a clockwork beast, a fetching secret agent, a priestess with mysterious powers, a mad genius, and a group of eccentric alchemists competing to vanquish a deadly monster. Nothing is certain... except that chaos will ensue.
Icebound's development began in late 2011 as a short freeware visual novel. However, I enjoyed the game's fictional universe and decided to turn it into a full length commercial game with visual novel and puzzle elements. After some setbacks in early 2012, the game was rewritten in mid-2012. The in-progress game was shown at Indiecade in early 2013. In 2013, voice acting was also added to the game and a cast of skilled actors and actresses was recruited. A Kickstarter was created to support the addition of voice acting. The Kickstarter was successful and the game was released on April 3, 2014. A voiced version will be released later in 2014 as a free patch. While self-contained, Icebound was planned as the first of a trilogy of games of similar length in a larger story arc. The release date of future Icebound games is currently unknown.
- A novel-length mystery story in a dark-fantasy, steampunk fictional universe.
- Interactive choices allow the player to change the main character's alignment.
- Optional alchemy minigames help unlock new endings.
- Professional-quality hand drawn art and atmospheric music.
- Features a cast of more than 20 unique characters.
- Full HD resolution up to 1080p.
Main Trailer YouTube
Gameplay Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "4/5" Hardcore Gamer
- "Runner Up, Most Anticipated VN of the Year" VN's Now, 2013
- "Considering the amount of average visual novels cluttering digital distribution lately, it’s exciting to see Icebound come along. [...] Anyone looking to get wrapped up in an entertaining storyline for a weekend should give this a read."
- Marcus Estrada, Hardcore Gamer
- "[...] the soundtrack [...] is absolutely mindblowing. I loved it to bits. [...] If you’re a steampunk fan, check it out!"
- Lucy Morris, IndieStatik
- "The story in Icebound is very strong and well-written. [...] I had a difficult time pausing my gameplay, not unlike how caught up I get when reading an interesting book. [...] Icebound is a well written example of what crowdfunding can achieve."
- Miyuki, IndieLove
- "The presentation is excellent, the soundtrack is great and the story truly gets you hooked. Overall, despite the odd hiccough, this is a fantastic visual novel."
- GamePlayersReview, GamePlayersReview
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
Icebound Official Soundtrack
Buy online at julianlangdon.bandcamp.com.
About Fastermind Games
Fastermind Games is a label created by Jonathan X., a skilled writer and designer, in order to develop high quality narrative-based games such as visual novels and adventure titles.
More information on Fastermind Games, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Marcos Rubinelli, Susan Douglas
Final Character Art and Design
Clement Swennes (Misc.), Michael Hussinger (Zoltan)
Initial Character Design
Final Background Art
Michael Syrigos, Jane Barrie
Initial Background Concepts
Environmental Promo/Concept Art
Julian Langdon (HandSound), Artem Bank
Daniel MacDonald (HandSound)